According to Marketing Sherpa, almost 134 million people in the U.S. regularly use search engines when looking for information online. Of that number, 63 percent look only at the first page of results--at most. Search engine marketing includes search engine optimization and pay-per-click advertising–to work for your business.
Search Engine Optimization
SEO encompasses the strategies for earning top rankings in free search engines. The goal is to optimize your site so search engines will consider it relevant.
• Find the hottest keywords for your market
• Plug keywords into the right locations in your copy and code.
• Use keywords that relate directly to your content.
• Keep the spiders coming back with frequent new content
• Integrate your keywords as naturally as possible into your copy.
• Collect links from other sites that are considered reputable and relevant.
• Use a site map to boost your ranking in Google, Yahoo! and Windows Live Search
SEO should be at the core of your overall internet marketing strategy. It’s one of the most inexpensive and effective approaches available.
Pay-per-click ads that appear when people search using the keywords in the ads and you pay when people actually click on your link.
• You only pay for results
• PPC ads show up immediately.
With a combination of PPC and SEO you can make sure your target market will find you. No other set of strategies offers you so much scope as search marketing.