If you’re using social media for business, you need a social media monitoring strategy. Period.
- Brand Reputation and Awareness – who’s talking about you, how often, and is it positive or negative?
- Competitive Intelligence – what are your competitors up to and how are they using social media?
- Managing Your Social Media Team – who’s saying what, how often, and what impacts are observed?
- Research and Development – What’s new in your market or product line? What new tools or services are available?
- Return on Investment (ROI) – What impacts can you see and measure from your social media marketing efforts?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you’re flying blind. That may be fine if you’re just experimenting with social media, but if you really want to apply it to specific goals, you will need a strategy.