“Fluent: The Razorfish Social Influence Marketing Report”examines how social media influences purchase decisions, how social features are entering online advertising, and how social media is becoming a paid distribution mechanism. The implications for you are:
- Brands must socialize with their customers because “top-down” advertising isn’t going to work.
- Brand must develop a credible voice along the parameters of engagement, humility, and authenticity.
- Brands must make their social relationships more symmetrical—that is, with value for both the brand and the customer.
The report also includes this gem of a list of how brands should use Twitter:
- Become familiar with Twitter by reviewing, or following, the activities of successful brands such
as Dell (dell.com/twitter), Zappos (twitter.com/zappos) and Comcast (twitter.com/
- Listen to what is already being said on Twitter about your brand.
- Identify initial objectives for using Twitter, including what would qualify as a Twitter success
story for your brand.
- Look into competitive activities and potential legal considerations, especially if there is already
a Twitter account that uses your brand’s name or other intellectual property associated with it.
- Use the findings to decide on the appropriate opportunitysuch as offers or community
building, tone of voice and method of engagement—that may be right for your brand.
- Since Twitter is an ongoing activity—even if your company is only listening in—dedicate a
resource to monitor the conversations and competitors.
- Map out a plan for the content you will share, including valuable initial content to pique
- Integrate your Twitter account throughout your marketing experience, by embedding it as a
feed on the company Web site, including its URL in communications and so forth.
- Maintain momentum by following everyone who follows you, responding to queries and joining
in conversations without being too marketing oriented.
- Provide ongoing direct value through your tweets by continuing to listen, learn and fine- tune
your Twitter activities.