Today, Twitter has roughly 6 million users and is projected to grow to 18.1 million users by 2010. With all those people, the chances for networking are endless and connecting with new people can lead to career opportunities, so it is essential that your personal brand exists on the service.
By leveraging the Twitter platform to build your brand you can showcase yourself to a huge and growing audience.
1. Claim your Twitter handle
With Twitter continuing its meteoric rise in popularity, it’s no surprise that Twitter account names are starting to be treated like domain names.
2. Decide how you want to brand yourself
Before you start actively using Twitter, you need a strategy, and the first step in developing that strategy is to completely fill out your user profile.
Three techniques for branding yourself on Twitter:
1. Lead with your company
2. Mutual branding – More and more companies are realizing that their employees are on Twitter and that they can be tapped to help promote their initiatives. Some of these Twitter accounts are mutually branded, so that the avatar has the person’s picture and the corporate logo.
3. 100% personal branding
3. Become known as an expert or resource
Essentially, Twitter is a shorter and more viral form of blogging, so the same rules actually still apply, and by constantly writing or tweeting about your expertise on a specific topic, you’ll become known for it and people will gravitate to you and follow you.4. Establish a Twitter marketing planJust like with any other website or blog, just because you build it, doesn’t necessarily mean people will come.
Elements of a Twitter marketing plan:
• Email signature can turn into a new follower.
• Personal/corporate website
• Blog homepage + posts:
• Email newsletter
• Business Card
• Article writing / guest blog posting
• Networking on Twitter
• Promotional products
5. Utilize third-party applications
There are literally thousands of Twitter applications out there, but only a few that can really help you build your personal brand.
• Twitter Grader
6. Form a Twitter “Mastermind Group”
Groups of individuals who are committed to helping each other and sharing knowledge amongst themselves.
• Twitter Groups
Read full article >